Wednesday, May 13, 2009

We've turned in over 4,000 signatures!!!

Thanks to all of our volunteers (none of them city workers! although many city workers have signed my petitions and have told me unbelievable stories of waste, corruption, cronyism and nepotism) who have helped us to collect over 4,000 signatures for our campaign. We think we need to collect about 5,000 as many signatures are not found to be valid from the elections department to make sure we are on the ballot.

I would like to thank all the volunteers who have worked so hard to help us out. From people who get us one sheet of 30 signatures to people who have put in dozens of hours and collected hundreds of signatures.

I'd also like to commend all the ladies and gentlemen who are running for City Council at Large who are out trying to collect 1500 signatures thanks to Steve Murphy and all the white councilors voting to triple the amount of signatures to get on the council. One of the first things I would do as Mayor is to make the signature process simpler and easier in order to promote more democracy. I have met at least 10 of the City Council at large candidates and found all of them to be thoughtful people with different points of view. I have been nothing but honored at their kind words, and only too eager to help them out anyway I can.

Unfortunately (or predictably) there seems to be an inverse relationship between a candidates supposed "viability" and their ability to answer a question about where they stand on an issue. I invite voters to try and get as many of these candidates on the ballot as they can, and to judge the candidates not on what the press or the insiders consider important but more on whether the candidates seem to be able to answer a question or to be responsive and accountable to the citizens.

Good luck to all, if I could wave my magic wand I would put every candidate who has pulled papers to get on the ballot.


A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues.
Theodore Roosevelt

No comments: