Monday, August 22, 2005

The ice is broken....beach day in southie

I ran into Michael Flaherty at the L Street bathhouse, and after a pregnant pause.....
We shook hands!!! Maybe now we can sit down and work out a plan to give the city council some power back over the BRA. My door is always open. But, I give the councilor credit for being a gentleman.

Speaking of gentlemanly acts at the bathhouse, I also ran into former councilor Mickey Roache who was very gracious. He talked a bit about missing the council, but that it was time for him to go. He spoke about how much we need new blood on the council, and he thanked me for what I was doing and wished me the best of luck. Very kind councilor, and thank you very much.

One more bathhouse story, I ran into Kevin McBride the pride of Ireland and Southie who has probably kissed the Blarney Stone at some point in his life. He recently beat Tyson, and he talked of his desire to be World Champion and to spread the word to the kids to believe in themselves and that dreams can come true. Very touching. As someone who boxed in college, I have the utmost respect for boxers whom I believe are probably in the best shape of any athletes. I know I was completely exhausted after 3 minute and a half rounds, I can't imagine going 15.

I also ran into Tim O'Riordan and his band, who had the number one hit in ireland for 5 weeks last year. We talked of Ireland, racing motorcycles and how the country has changed. They were kind enough to put me on the guestlist at their show at the Grand Canal Saturday night which Clara and I enjoyed immensely. It was the first time in ages I had 2 pints. Felt good to relax. They played their great hit "the Langer" which I never hope to be, and also special for me their song "the politician" which is a send up very similar to my stand up routine about how to run for city council. We bought the CD and invited them to our house the next time they are in the country. Good Crack!

-Random thought: How many white advisors does Sam Yoon need to attract the minority vote?

-Random thought 2- For all this talk about the nouveau Boston, the staffs of most of the candidates don't seem all that integrated. There are long term structural problems in Boston, mostly in the division by class that I believe exclude mostly minorities from being able to experience and learn the critical analytical skills that will allow them to succeed in todays knowledge based economy and one of those areas is in the political realm.

-Congratulations to Ed Flynn and his wife who had a baby boy Steven on Saturday. Ed was still out campaigning all day, but he said he was back and forth to the hospital 5 times already when we saw him at a block party in Southie.

No comments: