Monday, August 22, 2005

Has my luck run out? 0 for 3....

Well tonight in the coaches vs. players wooden bat league in the south end my luck may have run out. During the game I had Clara move my truck from near the field to farther away to avoid foul balls. Sure enough, after she moved it a foul ball slammed right into the windshield shattering it. This was after I struck out swinging, followed by grounding out to second. I did throw a guy out at second from right field, but then:
With the press watching, I came to the plate in the bottom of the last inning, one out, game tied, with runners on first and third. Man stole second. The team decided on a squeeze play. What better press than to get the game winning hit? But no, Casey was at bat and I squared off to bunt, and I popped a low liner which the charging first baseman caught. Drat!!!
With the next batter, we scored on a wild pitch so we did win the game, much to the chagrin of the kids. It was fun, good to get out and exercise and interact with the kids (16 to 18 years old), but the 0 for 3 line won't be getting any scouts excited for the city council traveling softball team.

-I asked Ed Flynn about his tax plan to have a sliding scale for people the longer they live in the city. He didn't have any specifics about numbers, but said that he wanted to have a plan that helped the elderly and veterans. Admirable goals. I said "you do realize that will put the highest tax burden on first time homebuyers who are usually the least able to afford it". To his credit he admitted that this was the case but he thought it more important to help the seniors.
It is good to have some proposals out there to bat around. I have proposed a cap on taxes after a certain number of years in your home, or when you retire to a fixed income.
The tax problem is a huge one in this city, but talking about sliding residential taxes from one group to another is not really addressing the big issue which is why 53% of the city does not get taxed and why city hall is giving huge tax giveaways to big corporate interests. It is by addressing these issues that we can make for a more equitable tax structure.

No comments: