Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The BRA responds to my blog about McCann

The spokesperson for the BRA Jessica Shumaker responded to my blog.

First, without prompting she sent the following email in response to my post that the Mayor cancelled the contract with Paul McCann:

Kevin,

A point of clarification:

The Mayor and the City’s corporation counsel advised the BRA that they were in violation of the pension laws. On Friday, the BRA suspended its contract with Paul McCann and today, terminated the contract.


I was just going by what the Mayor said in public, he said he had terminated the contract with Paul McCann. Later I called her up and asked her how many former BRA or EDIC employees have contracts with the BRA and where do they get their pensions from. She was good enough to email back:

I’m following up from the phone conversation we just had. I wanted to let you know that we do not have any former BRA staff currently on contract with the Authority.



I can also tell you that BRA employees do pay into the state pension system. Also, I should clarify that EDIC employees do not participate in the state pension system.



Notice that you don't get Michael Flaherty or Sam Yoon investigating the BRA. Remember the BRA is answerable to the City Council, and Michael Flaherty personally negotiated that deal (behind closed doors of course). Just because it is their job to oversee them doesn't mean they are doing a good job of it.

No comments: