Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Superintendent Johnson picks up on my call to change the light bulbs!

Cross posted at Blue Mass Group:

Changing light bulbs does save teaching jobs (+)
by: KevinMcCrea
Wed Feb 11, 2009 at 07:38:32 AM EST
[edit diary]
When I posted here announcing my plans to run for the Mayor of Boston, stomv (whose well informed comments I've followed and appreciated for some time) took me to task for being behind the curve for suggesting we change the light bulbs to save money.

Well, I feel a bit vindicated by School Superintendent Johnson's preliminary budget for the schools.

More below the fold:
KevinMcCrea :: Changing light bulbs does save teaching jobs
In her preliminary budget she says "The proposed budget also includes a number of innovative cost saving measures. For example, the district plans to replace all of the lightbulbs in every Boston school and central office with longer lasting, more energy efficient bulbs. The new bulbs will reduce the district's energy bills by nearly $3 million each year."

I don't want to disparage stomv, who clearly is more educated than I am about this issue. However, one of my favorite sayings is Mark Twain:
'Common Sense doesn't seem to be that Common'. We might think 99 percent of the bulbs have been changed, but they haven't.

We debated about whether to put that line about lightbulbs in our press release because it does seem so simple, and would invite ridicule such as we received. On the other hand, it does need to be done, because we are not as efficient as we need to be.

The key point that I would like to get across is that if I am elected, that making both simple and long term plans to cut our energy use are going to be a major part of what I work on. I am open enough to realize I don't have all the answers and I invite comments and ideas.

That 3 million in savings according to the administration is about 30 teaching jobs. For that, I'm willing to change light bulbs.

No comments: