Friday, March 03, 2006

I wanna be like Mike (Capuano)

''The places I go -- Israel, Ireland, Brazil -- I think they are justified," he said. ''Anybody who wants to follow me around is more than welcome to do it on these trips."

A quote from Congressman Capuano in the Globe

So, in the spirit of learning more about what my elected officials are doing for me, I called Congressman Capuano's office to inquire about how to join my representative in Congress on his next trip. I got in touch with Mr. Mike Gorman, who asked me to send a letter in writing, which follows. I'll keep the blog up to date on information I receive back from the Congressman.

February 21, 2006

Mr. Gorman,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. As per your request, I'm sending you my contact information so that you may get in touch with me for the next informational trip or "junket" that Congressman Capuano goes on.

As you mentioned, sometimes the Congressman goes to dangerous parts of the world. I'm not put off by that, and I'm sure wherever the Congressman goes is plenty safe enough for me, but I acknowledge that I'm traveling at my own risk.

Also, as you mentioned, sometimes visa issues are a problem so the more lead time you can provide me the better. I assume that I will be traveling at my own expense, and that it will be my responsibility to obtain tickets, visas, etc. I do not expect anything other than to take advantage of Congressman Capuano's generous offer to let any constituent "tag along" on these fact finding missions. I've met the Congressman a couple times at speaking engagements here in the south end and I share his frustration with trying to get progressive things passed with the makeup of the current Congress.

Thank you again for the opportunity, and I look forward to traveling and finding out about how these work.

Sincerely,

Kevin McCrea

No comments: